wiscuba.com
Northern Door County Buoys - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Northern Door County Buoys (/showthread.php?tid=1192)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - moneysavr - 10-08-2006

Capt. Kathy,
The Carringtons mooring is now safe and sound on dry land as I did get it removed yesterday.Oh by the way the Bay of Green Bay is not only Green its mean! with a late Friday forecast of 1'-2's early turned out to be 3-'4's and my top man & dive pal no (names mentioned)  was chumming and failed to clear the rail=mess on board!

That said it was a great day to be out and about and on dry land in Door county with pumpkin fest in Egg Harbor, &  after a boat clean out dinner was to be had  and I found my self with a local group of divers and had the privilege to talk to Bernie Bloom one of the divers that worked on the raising of the mystery ship = The Alvin C Clark see link to read story,

or to see the video see this link if you have high speed and some time,

Kind of sad how it all ends but a few things were learned  like a full set of blue prints on early schooner design were made and laws past to prevent this type of salvaging it sure was something how these guys worked so hard and did all this diving several years worth and no diving related accident was had! way too cool  and a heck of a way to wrap up a great weekend!
Dive safe,
Brad

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - captkathy - 10-08-2006

I can't believe you got it!  I thought for sure you would've been blown off!  Congratulations and thank you for doing that.

Friday was supposed to be light breeze, but I think Saturday's 15 - 25 came early.  I took out sightseers on Friday, and it was fine if we stayed in towards shore.  A couple of times I stuck my nose out in open water and got bounced around a bit.

I've met Bernie once before.  Very interesting guy, he's different than many divers in that you have to coax the story out of him.  I must have been talking to him for half an hour before it came out that he was involved with the Clark!

If you want me to get the buoy out of your way, let me know and I can make arrangements to pick it up.  Otherwise, if you think you might be interested in putting it out next year, and have room to store it, you might as well hold on to it.  Let me know what you decide!
Thanks again for making the run out there!  By the way, who got to clean up the chum? 
Kathy

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - moneysavr - 10-08-2006

It was now or,,,,as next weekend looks like a cold front and SNOW!!!!
it was a challenge bouncing up and down on the chain but with all the right stuff and lines hooked to lower the chain with a submerged float and line it was done! dropped down the line to see bottom conditions but the surge and vis was not worth it! 
I will for sure get it out early spring next year! & help with any others that need to get in any way I can.
  Bernie was fun to talk to about early diving & techniques like the use of pressure cookers with a 12volt car batteries and car lamps for dive lights! and the story's of all the wrecks in the Bay & Lake side these guys dove.72 years old and  he's still diving!  hope I can.
  Err, I cleaned out the boat !
Brad

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - captkathy - 10-09-2006

What a good friend you are.  You could've invoked the old motto..."He who throws it up, cleans it up"  I give you a lot of credit for doing it in those conditions and doing it the right way.  It's always tempting when you're out there in a chop, to just drop the chain, get the buoy and go!  But taking the time to lower the chain and put out a jug makes it much easier in the spring!

If you want to take care of the Carrington that would be great.  Jim and I had been neglecting that one the last few years because we seldom get down there.  The last time we buoyed it, we went there only twice, to put out the buoy and then to take it off!

Happy diving!

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - captkathy - 10-26-2006

After four failed attempts to get up to the Williams, we finally got there yesterday.  It was really getting down to the wire, as my boat comes out tomorrow.

Left from Sister Bay with some of our die hard local divers, and made the trek up there.  Got within a half mile of the wreck, slowed down and started looking for the buoy.  After chasing a half a dozen seagulls. we finally faced the fact that the buoy was gone.  I'm assuming the West gales a couple of weeks ago did it.  We circled the site a few times and couldn't even find the submerged float.  So we headed back south and got the Pilot Island buoy.

Bob LaViolette will be retrieving the O'Connor buoys tomorrow, so that should be all of them up in this neck of the woods.
Happy diving,
Kathy

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - moneysavr - 06-21-2007

quick note we got the CARRINGTONs mooring on this past weekend Thanks to Swimjim! a bit late but my submerged line was still  in place and we had a great dive too,
seen some divers on sunday doing a shore dive a bit west of littel Sturgeon  near our place as my son and I fished for perch and the jet skis came real close to them,
It was a great weekend to be on the water and Sturgeon Bays bridge fest was fun too!
Brad

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - captkathy - 06-26-2007

Hey Brad!
That's great!  Thanks for getting that out there.  I emailed you a couple of times this spring and didn't hear back, so I'm glad to hear you still want to be involved.  A couple divers went out there Memorial weekend to put a jug on, but never got on the wreckSad

I keep forgetting to update everyone on the buoy status, but other than the Roen Barge, they're all marked in this area.  Thanks goes out to everyone who helped, (diving) Al Brown, Joe Shambers, Bob LaViolette, Bob Landgraff, and to you also Brad and SwimJim.  Myself, Jim Robinson, and Bob LaViolette provided the transportation to the wrecks.  Hopefully I'm not forgetting anyone here.  It's great to have so much help with these buoys!

On a side note, we've been talking w/ an Eagle scout from the U.P. who wants to make the E.R. Williams his project.  He plans to install a permanent mooring on it.  It would be great if it happens...

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - moneysavr - 06-26-2007

Wow! Thats  a great project for a eagle scout!

The side note on the carrington was the sub mooring and line was on and made the hook up easy!Thanks to SwimJim-jim and his uncle top man shot some video I just watched, we looked like some real pros!

Capt.Kathy thanks for all you do and all the others we need to do this or loose it! and I hope to help as long as I can!!

My email as I am back up from Florida is
brad_i@hotmail.com and hope to get a dive or two on your boat this year  as I did not run into you at Ghost ships but did see Jim!!!!

Hope you have a great year as I know you will because I have had great feed back from all that have did dives with you,
Brad

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - captkathy - 07-01-2007

Another buoy update!

I got an email from Bob LaViolette that he and Tim Austin have the Daniel Lyons buoyed.  Surface and subsurface floats.

Also, a note on the E.R. Williams buoy....  I under estimated the amount of line needed once we spliced in an eye and four thimbles, so there's not a lot of slack in it for tying up to.  (My bad!)  Caution is needed when in moderate to big seas.  To be safe, I've been running one of my lines through the eye and tying that off to my bow to allow for more slack.  I also should note that we didn't use one of the large white buoys this year.  We have a yellow jug marking the wreck.  We lost the buoy last year because we couldn't get there before the fall winds hit, and didn't want to lose another one.  Any questions, feel free to contact me!

Kathy

Re: Northern Door County Buoys - moneysavr - 07-01-2007

Capt Kathy,
We did the E.R. and looked for the Roen but My No#s were off and could not call as we were a bit out of range so we shot over to the wreck off Poverty Island next to the light house and it was a cool site to dive!
Did 4 wrecks this weekend and had a blast less the NE Winds!
fun was had by all but one loss-may Capt. chair broke but found standing was much more easy to bend to the wave hits!
Dive safe all and man thanks for the moorings as it makes it soo easy to hook up for all!
Brad