wiscuba.com
Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Favorite Wisconsin dive spots (/showthread.php?tid=1)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - jasondbaker - 03-04-2003

What are your favorite Wisconsin dive spots?

I usually hit Perch Lake (western WI) once a month during the summer and fall. I'm also at Wazee a couple times every year. Last summer I dove several shore dives along Door County. I go up to Door County every Summer around July 4th to stay with my folks in Sturgeon Bay.

I want to hear about the best dive spots in the state.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - Omicron - 03-05-2003

Without a doubt, Lake Wazee. I think I made over 40 dives there this summer. You can't beat the clarity of the water in the lake, especially when you start making it down to the deeper depths. The cliffs, the underwater forest, the gazing ball - I love that place!

Sunset lake is also one that I've dove quite a few times - it's small, but it's got a boat in it and it's fun to goof around it. You can usually find quite a lot of stuff that swimmers have lost as well.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - jasondbaker - 03-05-2003

Where is Sunset lake located?

Wazee is fun. I have camped there several times. I love the night dives at the north access by the fish cribs.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - Omicron - 03-05-2003

These are the directions from Stevens Point:

Take County Highway A (North from Highway 161 or South from Highway 66 or County Z) to County MM. Follow County MM east for 2 miles. Take a left hand turn onto Sunset Road. Follow Sunset road for a half mile. Lake will be on your left side.

It's kinda small, but a neat place. We camped out there last summer too and had a really good time - didn't do any night dives by the fish cribs but we still had some good ones.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - dfreeman - 03-05-2003

I dive Lake Wazee regularly due to the good clarity under bad conditions, variety of types of dives and location. After 60 dives, there are still areas that I would like to spend more time in and explore. If nothng else, there is always more fish to see.

Pearl Lake north of Red Granite is nice for the fish life, use Pearl Lake Resort dock, small charge but plenty of fish.

Long Lake, near Saxeville, is also good, especially when you go right from the public boat landing.

When summer comes, Lake Superior is great. I enjoy the wreck of Munising Bay.

Where is the Perch Lake that you refer to?

Dive we must.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - jasondbaker - 03-05-2003

Perch Lake is about 10 miles north of Hudson, 10 miles past the MN/WI border. I live in Minneapolis now. I think Perch Lake provides the best diving within 40 minutes of the cities. It is a very small lake, 60 feet deep, natural spring fed. The lake visibility can range from 10-25+ feet depending on the time of year. I have seen a wide variety of fish life there. I have encountered at least two dive platforms and a couple large sunken objects in the lake.

I'm interested in Munising Bay. Where is that? I have been wreck diving along the North Shore -- Split Rock Lighthouse area. I need to get out my map to find some of these places.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - Omicron - 03-06-2003

I think this is the place that dfreeman is referring to:

There are a lot of shipwrecks in this little bay - a lot of ships came into it during storms to get out of the bad weather. A lot of times, it was already too late for the ship and as they were making their way into the bay they sunk there.

There are some really fun shipwrecks there - some of them are so shallow that they run a glass bottom boat tour of the wrecks. On one wreck, the Bermuda, it was only about 10 feet down to the deck.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - Chris - 03-06-2003

Yeah, Wazee is my choice too... Sorry I don't have any other sites to add. Night diving is awesome by the cribs, saw my first Walleye that way.

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - tcjtn0 - 03-06-2003

Wazee is definately #1. I did a night dive off of the wall last fall and was just speechless afterwards.
Perch has to be my favorite lake (just east of Stillwater). Lots of fish in and outside the weedline.
Viz is usually pretty good but can get iffy once it greens up. I would like to have a clean-up dive there sometime this year.

OK...I will bite...Whats the gazing ball at Wazee??? (You have my curiosity)

Thanks...Jean Smile

Re:Favorite Wisconsin dive spots - FreediveWI - 03-07-2003

Lake Michigan wins my vote.

There are hundreds of shipwrecks that litter the bottom. The vis is great- I have seen up to 85'! And the water can get really nice in August- try 70 degrees down to 93' with the right wind conditions.

Wazee is fine, but the rocks get old after a while. The small fish are fine, but they're nothing compared to have a school of big, fat, brown trout follow you along while your scootering the shallows. LAke Michigan also has schooling alexives that rival and bait balls that i've seenin the ocean- complete with circling salmon that zip in for the kill.

Since the zebra mussels hit I can't rember the last time we had less than 25' of vis.

Jon