wiscuba.com
Wolf River - Printable Version

+- wiscuba.com (http://www.wiscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Wolf River (/showthread.php?tid=458)

Pages: 1 2

Wolf River - alan - 10-14-2004

Took the hot air balloon out yesterday with some friends and we made some skydives and then two of us decided to drive to Shiocton and dive the Wolf. Temp was good for wetsuits, about 58 F. Vis was only 3' in some places and up to 8' in others. No sturgeon but lots of carp and a few walleyes and panfish. My buddy got one real nice anchor and we found a few collectable bottles. Got to 26'. Great day...........pulled off a hat trick. sky, scuba, ****

Re:Wolf River - Omicron - 10-14-2004

Congratulations on the hat trick - no dive too tough, huh? ;D

We're going to be diving the Wolf soon too. We usually wait til it's a little bit colder yet though.

Re:Wolf River - Chris H - 10-14-2004

I love diving the Wolf. Jason, let me know when you guys are planning to dive it.

I'll definitely let you know - haven't made any plans for it yet, but it's definitely something we're going to do!

Re:Wolf River - jasondbaker - 10-14-2004

Where is the Wolf river located at? Driving time?

We dive the wolf behind a bar in Shiocton, WI. It's a bend in the river w/ 30' deep hole. Old cars/machinery, misc, junk - and sturgeon and carp! Last year I even saw lots of ice coral - the water was 32 on the dot, so the water was freezing on branches in the river as it hit them. Pretty neat.

Shiocton is about an hour east of Stevens Point, off of Hwy 54, I believe.

Re:Wolf River - dfreeman - 10-14-2004

The Wolf River is a great dive in the late fall. Here is a picture of the dive site just before our dive last year. Not the ice on the shore.

Doug

Re:Wolf River - alan - 10-15-2004

I see in your profile that you are in Green Bay part time. Shiocton is just west of GB, maybe half an hour or more depending on what part of town you are in, on Hwy 54. Swimming with an 8' sturgeon is a memorable experience.

alan

Re:Wolf River - dfreeman - 10-16-2004

It should be noted that diving the Wolf River in the fall is not for everyone. It is cold, dark and a lot of current. Logs and other obstructions add to the challenge. Be sure that you are up to the task before diving here.

It is a very neat place to dive, and swimming with the sturgeon is great. But be safe.

Doug

Re:Wolf River - jasondbaker - 10-17-2004

8 foot sturgeon? Are you kidding me? That's a seriously big fish. Doug do you have any fish pictures? When is the best time to swim with the sturgeon?