Remember me
Lost Password Register

Door County Shore Diving
08-09-2004, 07:45 AM,
Re:Door County Shore Diving

speaking of the shoreline resort here is a pic off one of their decks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   doorcounty_062.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM,
Re: Door County Shore Diving
Did some diving in Door County on Saturday.  There are a lot of great shore dives here and we took advantage of 2 of them.  We dove the wreck of the Hurd and the wreck of the Fleetwing.  Both of these wrecks were wooden ships and have been flattened by the winter ice.  But it still is fun to dive a wreck.  A lot of history here.

The stern of the Hurd is on display on shore.  It is pretty neat.

.jpg_thumb   Hurd Propeller - 1 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.3 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Hurd Stern - 6 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.33 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-01-2005, 08:11 PM,
Tom went diving with me.  These are shallow dives but really neat.  Visibility was 20 feet on the Hurd due to the local wave action.  Visibility was over 40 feet on the Fleetwing.  The scenery was really good.  Just a beautiful day.

.jpg_thumb   Tom Mask - 10 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.96 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Green Bay - 1 - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.56 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-01-2005, 08:14 PM,
The fish life was good on the Hurd.  Some real nice bass, but very skitish.  Had a hard time getting any pictures. 

Found a mud puppy.  These guys are always a lot of fun.

.jpg_thumb   Bass - 146 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.35 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Mud Puppy - 2 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.04 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-01-2005, 08:18 PM,
There were a lot of little fish on the Hurd.  I generically called them Sculpin but I am not sure.  Perhaps our local experts can help.

If you have not tried shore diving in Door County, plan a trip and try it out.  It is a neat time and a lot of fun.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Sculpin - 11 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 33.65 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   Sculpin - 14 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.81 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-01-2005, 08:59 PM,
I've dove the Fleetwing abunch of times and enjoy diving there.  I even took my son there once.  Where is the Hurd?  How do I get to it?

Thanks

Jim
06-01-2005, 09:22 PM,
The Hurd is at Old Quarry County Park.  When Going North On Highway 42, after Sturgeon Bay, turn west on County BB and then right on County B.  You can not miss the park.

The Hurd in south of the boat landing in 10 feet of water.

Green Bay Scuba Shop has some great maps for shore dives.

Doug
06-02-2005, 05:24 AM,
Thanks Doug.  I just looked at my shore dive directory.  I just never noticed this one. I'll have to check it out.  Thanks again.

Jim
06-02-2005, 08:58 AM,
nice pics, as it turns out shore line has spots avalible on thier charter in two weeks, if anyone is interested.  I know Tom was talking about trying to make it.
06-18-2005, 07:49 AM,
Doug,
I'm thinking that the fish you're refering to is a Round Eye Goby.
Here's a link to the DNR site regarding them. They make great fertilizer for your garden but that's about it!