Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite...
09-14-2006, 01:55 PM,
Re: Red Granite...
I just got back from taking one of my coworkers out on her first snorkeling trip.  She loved it! Big Grin  I was hoping to see some freshwater jellies, but didn't see any.  The fish also seem to be missing as well. ???  We saw a few, but not in the numbers that were there even in July.  Either the fishermen were busy or the fish are hiding in deeper waters.  We saw someone out there on a solo dive as we left. (one set of bubbles)  Viz on the surface was running 10-15' and seemed to vary a bit.  on the north wall, we encountered some upwelling, as we could hit cold water with our hands maybe a 1 1/2' below us.  I looked over some of the rocks for zebra mussels, but didn't see any, so the one that I found might have been a loner.  Time will tell.  It looks like the prison patrol is keeping most of the trash under control, but there are still floating bottles that they can't get to.  Someone bagged one of the carp and left it on shore. (it's bones now)  And the purple ball is up near shore by the big submerged rock. 

Back by the propane dealer, the kids have picked a tree as a memorial to their drowned friend. :'(
DEW >&ltWink)>
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM,
Oops, what drowned friend?  Guess I missed something.  Thought the board was just dead the last month or so, turns out gmail had decided suddenly that my "new posts" notifications were spam. argh.
The only good diver is a wet diver.
09-15-2006, 08:50 AM,
A kid drowned about a week or so ago.  Body has been recovered.
DEW >&ltWink)>
10-14-2006, 09:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-14-2006, 10:01 PM by Chris H.)
Just returned from a very enjoyable 75min evening/night dive at Redgranite Quarry.  The water temp was 57F down to at least 30ft.  Visibility was probably 8-10ft.  I got to see an Ouroboros CCR in action and I was diving double steel 46's which happent to be my new favorite tanks.  We saw a couple catfish and many trout.  It has been a while since my Icthyology course, but I'd guess the trout were  Oncorhynchus mykiss.  The catfish I won't even attempt to ID.  One  catfish was at least 1 foot long.  The air temp wasn't nearly as warm as the water, so breaking down gear wasn't exactly warm.    It was a good night for a dive....not such a good night to speed through Wautoma.
10-15-2006, 09:33 AM,
It was a blast to get Boris back in the water. Not diving it for a month makes that learning curve a little rough. Plus I got to drive the tonka truck over to get a feel for it.  My mpg was 16.4 byt the time I got home.  Quite the improvement from 11.  No speeding tickets on my end, just a nice rock with my name on it.
10-15-2006, 03:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-15-2006, 03:38 PM by matt t..)
Now I know why you're not going to Florida...... >Big Grin Did you ask the cop which key HE could do without? ;D
10-24-2006, 12:29 PM,
Diving with the monofin was pretty cold, but viz is starting to improve.  I could make out one of the boats from the surface.  :o I also got a surprize!  Miner #1 has returned! Big Grin
DEW >&ltWink)>
11-01-2006, 06:01 PM,
Had a nice dive today with Todd and Greg. We saw miner #3 on the way to the bowling tournament. Had to look a while as 2 of the balls were in the bigger boat. There is now 1 more ;D. Rode the little bike over by the snowmobile. Hard trying to pedal in my Jets. Probably won't be back until there's ice.
11-01-2006, 07:28 PM,
So how was the viz?
11-01-2006, 08:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-01-2006, 08:26 PM by matt t..)
Better than I expected. I'd say 15 feet. Ambient light was o.k in some spots down to 40 feet.