Remember me
Lost Password Register

UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall
07-18-2003, 12:50 PM,
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall
Jason,

The fact that the local shops didn't promote local diving is a sad testament to the sport. Local divers are active divers, and they end up spending more money in the shops than tropical divers so the stores can make enough money to survive without overselling anyone.

We are blessed with some of the best freshwater diving inthe world in this area and it is a pitty that more people don't promote it. The more divers that dive it, and see how fragile it is, the more people we could get to try and defend it when it comes under attack.

I almost like the British BSAC system better. You learn to dive in a club. You gain experience slowly with other, more senior, club memebers helping you alnog the way. You use the club's gear and you do most of your dives locally. The divers were much more acitve and worked to get into the water on a more regular basis. Some of it (BSAC) is a bit restrictive, but it got people diving on a regualr basis adn it made sure they were comfotable at one level before they sent them off to the next- no one pool session OW classes here.

The diving in the Great Lakes is also so much better now than it was 20 years ago. Where we once had 5'-8' of vis we now have 40'-80'. The water in August gets warm enough to be able to dive in just a swimsuit- last August we had 70 degree water down to 60' in Tobermory and I have seen 68 degree water down to 93' in Lake Michigan. That make sit better than divng in Southern California which has thousands of divers!

If someone is new enough to want to dive a computer they can do it for a lot less than $900! A simple Suunto Misquito will start you off on the nitrox route and can be switched into gauge mode when your ready. I am sure that there are other, even cheaper, computers out there that would do the trick.

Jon

Messages In This Thread
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by FreediveWI - 07-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-17-2003, 11:29 AM