Remember me
Lost Password Register

UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall
07-18-2003, 01:51 PM,
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall
I would like to comment on this thread both on a personal basis as well as the owner of a local dive store.

On the personal side, I have known Jon for at least 6 years and in that time, I have never known him to be anything but helpful to those that asked. Also, no matter where I have encountered him, he ALWAYS earned his keep.

Jon definitely has some very strong opinions, as I have found do many local divers. He is also willing to share them with those interested. That is what makes his posts so good.

Jon and I both believe strongly in the precepts of DIR and one of the fundamental ideas of DIR is simplify, simplify, simplify. This does not mean don't buy equipment, it simply means don't buy equipment that you do not need, and don't buy equipment twice. Believe me, there is plenty of equipment out there to buy even if you only spend once.

The advantage of this approach is that you have money left over to go on local diving charters, get quality training and still purchase equipment appropriate for your diving environment. I believe it is an increased appreciation of local diving that will help local stores stay in business.

For everyone's information I have attached an excellent article by Jarrod Jablonski, president of Global Underwater Explorers. It is called the bakers dozen reasons not to dive computers. If someone would like to start a discussion on computers in the technical forum, I would love to take part in it, it is getting pretty lonely over there.

Now, as a store owner, do we carry computers? Of course we do. I believe that computers have their place. I also believe that there are functions that are best left to the diver. When new divers ask what piece of equipment they should buy first, I do not say a computer. I would rather have them develop an understanding of the tables that are behind the computer first. Will I refuse to sell one is the customer insists? Nope, but I will make sure that they understand the trade offs.

Do we sell 900 dollar computers? Yes again, but we only carry one and most of our computers are in the 300 -500 dollar range. I would much rather sell a customer a 400 dollar computer, (or a watch and a depth gage for even less) and a 500 dollar regulator setup rather than a 900 dollar computer that has functions that they don't need. It is this one-on-one type of customer service and expertise that will allow local stores to differentiate themselves from internet merchants. This is part of the value that a local store brings to the table that no internet reseller can touch!!!!!

I really enjoy reading this forum and hope that we can keep the personal stuff on out of the forum and on the bathroom walls where it really belongs Wink. everyone has interesting opinions, and I love a good fight, as long as we stick to the facts.

Attached Files
.txt   Bakers_Dozen.txt (Size: 2.6 KB / Downloads: 54)

Messages In This Thread
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 12:54 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Deep Blue - 07-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-14-2003, 06:51 PM
Re:UWATEC Smart Computers: Voluntary Recall - by Omicron - 07-17-2003, 11:29 AM