Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Computers - Pros and Cons
07-20-2003, 07:16 AM,
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons
The biggest problem that I have with dive computers is that they tend to allow people to put their brains on autopilot. I seriously doubt that you could find anyone diving a computer that understands what their air consumption is, or could even hazard a guess about how long that tank on their back will last at their planned depth. (Planned depth? I just let my computer tell me that!!!) I have had numerous people tell me that they just dive until their computer tells them it is time to come up. That is it for their dive planning!!!!

While I don't have a huge issue with recreational divers using computers, as long as they do some predive planning, I do have a big problem with technical divers using wrist mounted computerst to plan their dives. When planning a technical dive, there are so many planning issues that need to be addressed, from gas requirements to gas choices, to conservatism levels to lost gas ramifications, that these items need to be addressed up front.

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as a little deco. That is like being a little pregnant. If you are going to stay withing the no deco limits, do so and feel free to use your computer. If you are going to be doing a deco dive, plan it right and set your computer to bottom timer mode.

Hate to sound hard core here, but I know that there is a substancial difference between deco and no deco diving. If you are going to involve yourself with an overhead condition, which you are doing when you are in deco, you need to be prepared and have a thourough understanding of what you are doing. I have seen too many people get themselved into trouble by only doing a "little deco" on their wristmounted coputer.

Now, if I can only find my way down off of this soap box!!!!

Messages In This Thread
Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by Deep Blue - 07-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by FreediveWI - 02-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Re: Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by Dewit2it - 04-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Re: Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by jmohns - 12-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by FreediveWI - 07-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by Omicron - 07-18-2003, 03:41 PM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by FreediveWI - 07-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by Deep Blue - 07-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by Chris H - 07-20-2003, 12:30 PM
Re:Dive Computers - Pros and Cons - by Deep Blue - 07-20-2003, 04:48 PM