Remember me
Lost Password Register

Trivers "Baldwin"
06-17-2007, 08:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Re: Trivers "Baldwin"
Matt-
I absolutely agree with you that there are more historically significant wrecks than the S.C. Baldwin in the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area.  There are many criterion that go into making the decisions as to which wrecks receive State buoys- accessibility to all levels of divers, interest at the local level, ability to maintain the buoys, riparian/local/State/Coast Guard approval, historical significance, and available funding amongst other things.

But understand that although I work (strictly part time) for WHS Maritime Preservation and Archaeology Program, I am not posting on this site as the official voice of the State of Wisconsin.  That is definitely not in my job description.   I will have to defer your question to those responsible for that voice. 

For an official response you will need to email either Underwater Archaeologist, Keith Meverden (keith.meverden@wisconsinhistory.org) or State Archaeologist, John Broihahn (john.broihahn@wisconsinhistory.org).  Just a note: Keith is in Boston on an archaeological survey until the end of the month...so it may take a bit to hear back from him.

As you know, I like to dive the deeper and more historically significant wrecks too.  And I join you in wanting to see them buoyed in coming years.  For now, I am just as happy as everyone else that utilizes the wrecks in the Manitowoc/Two Rivers area for recreational and teaching purposes that these 3 new buoys were approved in record time and are now out for use this season.   If it was narrowed down to one person to be individually thanked for getting this new series of buoys in, it would be DNR Conservation Warden, Ryan Volenburg who hand walked the documents through the approval process.  Kudos to him! 

And kudos to the spirit of the divers from Maritime Divers for installing them this spring.

Tami

Messages In This Thread
Trivers "Baldwin" - by Chris H - 06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by captkathy - 06-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by Tamara Thomsen - 06-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by matt t. - 06-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by Tamara Thomsen - 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by Tamara Thomsen - 06-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by matt t. - 06-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by DiveCaptDean - 06-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by Tamara Thomsen - 06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Re: Trivers "Baldwin" - by Tamara Thomsen - 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM