Remember me
Lost Password Register

Regulators
07-22-2003, 01:43 PM,
Re:Regulators
Here is the review from DIVER magazine.

They have a panel of testers and also do a machine test on it. The work of breathing is listed at 1.56 joules/liter compared to .95 joules/liter on the apeks. You can go to their site to see the results of other regulator tests. Unlike the dive mags in the U.S., they actually give honest evaluations of dive gear- good, bad and ugly.

Jon

POSEIDON XSTREAM DEEP 90 (£375)
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: A radical design with a heavy first stage which has a unique ball-bearing and large heat-sink spring design. Only one hp and three mp ports. Minimalist features includes a DIN fitting with A-clamp adapter. The ambidextrous second stage is a very compact upstream servo design with a pressure-relief valve on the mp hose. It has a side-exhaust but an offset front diaphragm. No knobs or switches and the test example had an original Poseidon lanyard attached. It required a thumb positioned over the mouthpiece when turning on the air-supply to discourage it from free-flowing.
IN THE WATER:
"It seemed to give an unnatural breathe. You needed to suck to get air, and then you got too much. The purge was horrific! I felt it moved me 3m sideways each time I used it! Impossible to make free-flow but scary when you turned the tank on. It gave plenty of air but pulsed if you inhaled strongly."
"Disappointingly, this seems to be merely a Jetstream in a new set of clothes. You have to suck for your air, then it comes in a rush. When I purged it, it blasted my mouth. If I wanted my tonsils removing I would have gone to hospital! Not for inexperienced divers."
"It felt balanced in the mouth but was like breathing from a machine. The air came in quick pulses and the purge blew out my other end! Exhaust bubbles were routed well away from my face. Very dry face-up."
"Frightening the first time. It gave plenty of air when I wanted it (and sometimes when I didn't) but stuttered in its delivery. The purge nearly blew my balls off! Not for an beginner who needs to share air."
INVERTED:Absolutely dry.
SECOND-STAGE ASSEMBLY:Relatively easily disassembled for cleaning.
ANSTI RESULT:This regulator appeared to have a positive-pressure spike at the start of each inhalation. Inhalation effort was low if uneven. Work of breathing was 1.56 joules/litre.

Messages In This Thread
Regulators - by Chris H - 07-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Re:Regulators - by FreediveWI - 07-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Re:Regulators - by Omicron - 07-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Re:Regulators - by FreediveWI - 07-23-2003, 09:59 AM
Re:Regulators - by Chris H - 07-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Re:Regulators - by Omicron - 07-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Re:Regulators - by FreediveWI - 07-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Re:Regulators - by Omicron - 07-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Re:Regulators - by Vtach - 07-23-2003, 04:13 PM