Remember me
Lost Password Register

Munising - Alger Preserve
08-04-2003, 08:30 PM,
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve
Went diving in the Alger County Preserve this last weekend. Bad weather above the water but good diving conditions underwater.

First dive was on the Tugboat Selvick. The big lake is beating this wreck to peices. It gets moved every year and is being pushed into shallow water. May need to move it to a spot where it does not get destroyed. A lot of fish are around this wreck, especially whitefish. Best part is going into the engine room. This hatch is starting to collapse and I will not fit in a few years. Plenty of burbotte in the wreck. This is still a neat attaction. Did not get any pictures. Operator error once again. :-[

They plan to sink more ships in all of the Michigan preserves. Hope they get a good one.

Second dive was on the Herman Hettler. This wreck is shallow and all broken up. Lots of fish life in the area. Wish I had taken the camera with as the fish were holding still and posed for the camera. There were burbotte, whitefish, sculpin and other minnows. There are a lot of crayfish here also. The wreck is OK, but the fish is the big attaction.

Next day did the Smith Moore. Had a great swim and saw a lot of fish. Only got a good picture of a sculpin. Plenty of pictures of the old wreck. Like the woodwork a lot on this wreck. Always wonder why the ship had to have all of the ornate woodwork. Sand continues to fill this ship in. See it while you can.

Here is a picture of one of the dive partners. In the background is the huge wooden railing at the stern of the ship. Why did it have to be so large. ???

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Smith_Moore_Wreck_Woodwork_-_22_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.92 KB / Downloads: 0)

Messages In This Thread
Munising - Alger Preserve - by Omicron - 06-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by dfreeman - 08-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by dfreeman - 08-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by dfreeman - 08-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by dfreeman - 08-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by dfreeman - 08-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by xtracheese4me - 06-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by Omicron - 06-23-2003, 05:38 AM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by scubert - 06-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Re:Munising - Alger Preserve - by Omicron - 06-23-2003, 07:29 AM