Remember me
Lost Password Register

Less ambient light in Lake Michigan this year
11-06-2008, 09:35 AM,
Re: Less ambient light in Lake Michigan this year
It was not that long ago that diving in Lake Michigan was pretty much braille diving with single digit vis.  After the Zebra mussel invasion we have seen a drastic change in visibility which has been great for divers and not so great for many other reasons.  But I would guess that just like any other organism, when you have a drastic population boom you see a reduction in food supply and then a die off until food supply repopulates.  In my opinion, we are going to continue to see a "yo-yo" effect in regard to visibility as zebra populations also fluctuate depending on their food supply.  High vis = warmer water = more algae = more zebras = less algae = lower vis = cooler water = less algae = zebra pops reduce....and so on.

I'm sure that it is not this simple and there are more contributing factors to the situation but I would bet the general "yo-yo" idea is appropriate. 
I am definitely less of an "expert" than Tami is but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night. ;D

Messages In This Thread
Re: Less ambient light in Lake Michigan this year - by Vtach - 11-06-2008, 09:35 AM