Remember me
Lost Password Register

Newb here needs suggestions...
04-25-2009, 08:39 AM,
Re: Newb here needs suggestions...
If you're young, like 18-19, I'd hold off on a drysuit until you get a little older and quit growing. (like 23-24)  I got mine at 19 and partialy outgrew it.  The basics like mask/snorkel/fins/wetsuit are the best things to concentrate on right now.

For a scuba system if you really want to keep diving after class, I'd recommend:

Scubapro G-250/Mk. 25 with either a G-250 or R-190 octo.(G-250 for ice diving)  I've been diving this reg since it first came out as the G-250/Mk. 10. (20+ years)

UWTEC digital bottom timer/depth gauge in console with analog pressure gauge. (OMS version is identical, just different face markings, and less expensive) Better computers get pricey, and don't make you learn the tables very well. (I have a computer and wish I could go back to the old Oceanic Datamax)

A non-integrated weight BC and weightbelt.  Backplate/wings are a good choice, and can allow for expansion to doubles later.  The BP/W combo can start bare bones and be customized as you need.  No other style is like that.  The weightbelt can also be used for snorleking/freediving to kill wetsuit buoyancy.

1 or 2 aluminium 80 cuft cylinders.  You'll get 10 years out of them and they're cheaper than steel.  They generally go +2 lbs buoyant when empty while steel stays neutral/negative.  Having more than one cylinder is useful for trips.  Rent instead of buying if you're planning on doing tropical trips only.

The above will get you a good basic system that is relatively inexpensive.
DEW >&ltWink)>

Messages In This Thread
Newb here needs suggestions... - by newbtoscuba - 04-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Re: Newb here needs suggestions... - by LKunze - 04-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Re: Newb here needs suggestions... - by Dewit2it - 04-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Re: Newb here needs suggestions... - by Vtach - 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Re: Newb here needs suggestions... - by ScubaDo - 05-06-2009, 07:17 AM