Remember me
Lost Password Register

Moving to Madison from California.
04-07-2004, 05:16 PM,
Re:Moving to Madison from California.
Capt Dean: what are good sites and/or wrecks for experienced divers who don't go below 130 ft and who don't penetrate wrecks?

Hey John,
I think you will like most of the diving here. Wazee lake in Black River Falls is a must. Visibility is usually quite good, and you are able to enjoy wall diving at any depth you desire.

As far a wreck diving in Lake Michigan goes...There are a ton of wrecks to visit, most all are very interesting without penetration, and all are quite close to shore, so trips out are short on a quick boat. Some of the most common are:
Prins Willem V 258ft steel freighter on its side in 85ft. its sitting in a hole, so you can hit 100 if you did a little. Probably the most penetrated wreck out of milwaukee. but just as interesting on the outside.

Gillen tug...sitting in 65 ft even keel very complete.. with penetration possible.

Dredge #6 (906) 75 ft..upside down..still has the boom this suspends it, so the entire dive is kind of overhead.

Lumberman.. 1862 lake schooner65ft. a nice dive and is in pretty good shape.

Milwaukee 338ft railroad care ferry in 120ft of water. it went down with 27 railroad cars on it. A huge, very interesting dive. you cannot just dive it once....

Norlond wooden steamer broken and scattered in 65ft.

Jerrys Wreck named after Jerry Guyer captain of Lender..who found it. wooden steam powered..in 40 ft.

There are quite a few other shallow wrecks that are broken up. there is a small airplane, and a couple of shore dives where you will find scattered remains of wooden ships and schooners. There are several technical dives as well that are very interesting. You will need deep technical training to see them.

Welcome to big lake wreck diving...i think you will find that many if not most of the people on this site...have dove the big lakes....

let me know if i can get you out...
divecaptdean@aol.com

Dean

Messages In This Thread
Madison diving links - by WIdiver_Paul2 - 12-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by DiveCaptDean - 04-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by Omicron - 06-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Re:Moving to Madison from California. - by Omicron - 06-26-2003, 11:48 AM