Remember me
Lost Password Register

weights
05-10-2004, 09:34 PM,
Re:weights
land shark,

Welcome to the board.

I dive using a drysuit, a SS backplate, a single tank adapter and high pressure steel tanks. I need about 4lbs on my weight belt when diving cold water and full insulation, and 0lbs when diving warm water with just my long underwear on underneath.

When you just start diving, you need a lot of weight. You will find that the more you dive, the more weight you will lose.

When I started in my 7mm wetsuit I was using 24lbs. After a year, I was down to about 14. Between adding a backplate and steel tanks and switching to a drysuit, I'm down to 4.

A HUGE part of losing weight off your belt is realizing you probably don't need most of it. Get relaxed....really relaxed. Slow your breathing down, be sure to exhale ALL of the air in your longs. Quit moving your feet and legs when you try to sink.

I notice even now - sometimes I'll think I'm too light - and then I just slow down, relax, breathe...exhale alllllll the way. And before I know it, I'm adding a bit of air to my BC because I'm sinking too much.

Becoming neutral in the water with good trim is a big part mindset. Being comfortable in the water - relaxed breathing, exhaling all the way, no excessive movement....as you get to this point in the water you will find that you are able to drop more and more weight.

One of the biggest points that I learned in my cave classes is that most people dive overweighted. Instead of looking at technique in the water as the reason you can't sink, people just add more weight. To quote padi "Stop, Breathe, Think, Act".

If all else, it's just an excuse to dive more ;D

And if you are planning on the hogarthian style of diving - heck, even if you aren't - I would highly, highly, highly recommend a backplate over the recreation style bc. Once you dive in one of them, you'll never go back. The brand doesn't really matter...but there's nothing like a backplate!

Messages In This Thread
weights - by land shark - 05-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Re:weights - by LKunze - 05-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Re:weights - by Omicron - 05-10-2004, 09:34 PM
Re:weights - by Rik - 05-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Re:weights - by land shark - 05-12-2004, 03:28 AM
Re:weights - by matt t. - 05-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Re:weights - by Omicron - 05-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Re:weights - by FreediveWI - 05-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Re:weights - by land shark - 05-15-2004, 06:16 AM