Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving Lake Michigan
10-22-2004, 02:05 PM,
Diving Lake Michigan
Hello everybody. I'm a newbie, both to scuba and to this board. Seems like a great place and I'm glad I found it.

I was OW & AOW certified earlier this year in warm water, then rented some gear this summer and dove a couple local lakes (Kenosha county). I am now in the process of purchasing my own gear and am really looking forward to diving some of the Lake Michigan wrecks. Which leads me to a few questions:

1) Are the Lake Michigan (Milwaukee/Racine/Kenosha area) wrecks too cold to dive with a wetsuit? Would I need to restrict my diving to only the warmest months? (Which months would those be?) I was leaning towards either a Henderson Goldcore, or Hyperstretch, full suit in 7mm with 5mm core warmer. Also 7mm booties, gloves, hood. Would this be adaquate? And, any recommendations of the Goldcore over the Hyperstretch or vice versa?

2) I am also an avid fisherman and actually learned to fish out on Lake Michigan. I now own a boat that is Lake Michigan "worthy". It's not big (18 foot aluminum "walleye tournament" style boat), but I'm not afraid to be on the lake with it in 3-4 footers. My question is, how do you tie up to the moorings, and if a mooring isn't available, is anchoring acceptable?

3) Besides the Wisconsin Historical Society Shipwreck Database, is there a list of GPS lat/lon coordiates for the popular diving shipwrecks?

4) I see a few wrecks on nautical charts that I can't find in the WHS database. One in particular is between Racine and Kenosha, almost due West of the Rosinco, in about 33' of water. Anyone know what that is, and is it worth diving?

Thanks!
Chad

Messages In This Thread
Diving Lake Michigan - by fishchaser - 10-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by matt t. - 10-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by DiveCaptDean - 10-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by DiveCaptDean - 10-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by fishchaser - 10-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by DiveCaptDean - 10-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by divbum - 10-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by scubert - 10-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Re:Diving Lake Michigan - by fishchaser - 10-28-2004, 10:35 AM