Remember me
Lost Password Register

What do you expect from your training?
03-11-2005, 10:30 AM,
Re: What do you expect from your training?
Obviously I expect to get that same as stated already.  The main idea is that you take classes to improve and extend your knowledge and skills.  First and foremost, I expect instructors and students to be up front and honest about what their expectations of the class are.  This way a student knows what to expect and can make a decision on whether or not to continue based on whatever reason is most important to them.  Student and instructor should be in agreement on both the financial and academic expectations.  Secondly, I expect that instructors spend a relatively equal amount of time on each student.  There are times where each student may need a bit of individual attention but babysitting one student is not fair to the others.  I think it is up to the instructor on just how they handle "needy" students and this should be agreed upon prior to the class. 

I think the biggest point to make here is that anytime you give someone money for a object or a service you are entering into a basic contract and you should find out exactly what you are getting especially if its a service.  If you don't like what you will get, look around.  If you are looking to "buy" a C-card, I'm sure there are instructors out there that will "sell" you one.  If you really want to be safe, be qualified and have a certification mean something, you will find a reputable instructor who expects competence before issuing that card.  If you don't prove to be competent, the student/instructor agreement should already detail what happens next. 

I guess I am more comfortable knowing that I have proved myself competent than I am with getting a piece of laminated paper.  I think that there is an abundance of divers out there who are more concerned with showing off a patch on the shoulder rather than actually being competent.  If that is what they want to do, more power to them.  But unfortunately, that person may someday be in the water right next to you.  Think about it..... :Smile

Messages In This Thread
Re: What do you expect from your training? - by Vtach - 03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Re: What do you expect from your training? - by Omicron - 03-18-2005, 06:33 PM