Remember me
Lost Password Register

Computers and Decompression Planning
05-31-2003, 11:41 AM,
Re:Computers and Decompression Planning
Hi Tom,
I don't think you were ranting at all. However, I don't agree with all that you said.
I don't see this board headed toward the slow attrophic death that milwaukeescuba seems to be suffering. I think this board is growing more exciting all the time. You have people from all over the state (and a few who just dive here but live elsewhere) discussing all segments of diving. The conversations that seem tied to 'dir' like long hoses, backplates, and theories on deco are really just a small section of what is discussed, and do represent a fair part of the diving done on both of Wisconsin's shores. Lots of the diving here seems to be great lakes wreck diving, and lots of those wrecks are deep, or require special tools for penetration.
You don't see the bickering, namecalling, and philosophical arguments that so frequently arise when DIR-vs-everyone else comes up.

That being said, I do agree with you in that the training agencies are responding to market demands for 'quicker, cheaper, easier'. But is that justification for the weekend certification, or just pandering to the lazy to make more money? We don't make drivers license tests quicker and easier for those unable...
I don't know what the full reasons are for the quick c-card, and am not expert enough to say, but seeing some of the divers who are certified for DM or wreck, or ice diving and their skill level, I question how they got to that certification level.

Messages In This Thread
Re:Computers and Decompression Planning - by TomG - 05-31-2003, 10:24 AM
Re:Computers and Decompression Planning - by scubert - 05-31-2003, 11:41 AM
Re:Computers and Decompression Planning - by Omicron - 06-02-2003, 09:48 AM