Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Wazee
08-19-2003, 08:10 AM,
Re:Lake Wazee
I was up there camping/ freediving with a bunch of friends last weekend and took this shot. Water was warm and the weather cooled down enough at night to make it fun.

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   wazee_wall_email.jpg_thumb (Size: 9.13 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-20-2003, 08:34 AM,
Neat shot - kind of a different view of a place I've been to many times.
08-20-2003, 10:45 PM,
I really like the panarama view of this spot. Have to try this out with my camera or software. Really looks neat. 8)

Doug
08-24-2003, 08:50 AM,
Went diving in Lake Wazee on Saturday. Good visiblity at shallow levels (Less than 30 feet) and a lot of fish traveling around. Great to see all of this active fish life.

From 30 to 70 feet the visibility was bad and I even got lost a few times. Not much to see here.

Below 80 feet there was some great visibility, especially below 100 feet. Great visibility and nice cool temperatures. Conditions were great. Can always count on Lake Wazee for a good deep dive.

A lot of fun.

Get out and dive.

Doug
08-24-2003, 11:52 AM,
Sounds just like it was last weekend when we were up there freediving. You really need to bust through that layer at 75' to get to the good vis, and cool water. 8) Your right aboutthe vis being really good at 100' too.

We were getting overheated in 3mm freediving suits because you had to swim through all of the warm waterto get down to the cool stuff. When diving in less than 30' of water we just pulled them off and dove in a shorty- much more refreshing.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   gert_scooter.jpg_thumb (Size: 19.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-24-2003, 01:22 PM,
How do you like the scooter?

Doug
08-25-2003, 08:05 AM,
That's actually a picture of my friend, Gert, on his scooter. I have a Dacor seasprint and he has the Aeris model that you see pictured.

Scooters are great. They are awsome tools that are well worth spending the money on. For freediving they let me really extend my time at depth and cover a lot of ground very quickly- I have found more lost gear freedivng with a scooter off the Willy than I could have while on scuba. For tec-diving they allow you to move around a big wreck, like the Miwlaukee, with doubles and a couple of aluminum 80's tucked under your arm without any effort at all. ;D

For simple recreational diving they allow you to make your tank last a looong time. My father-in-law has a Gavin, the Harley Davidson of scooters, and has his whole video camera, and HID light system, mounted to it. He can shoot movies of the wrecks as he dives. He also uses it when he is scouting out new areas looking for new wrecks. If he finds something interesting, like the 10,000 year old forest he found in 40' of water off of Milwaukee, he can shoot footage of it while on the move.

I may make fun of $190 split fins and $900 computers, but a scooter is well worth the money. I have had mine for over 5 years and have used it for everthing from freediving to salvage jobs.

My freedivng buddy, Ted, was up to Wazee this past weekend and found this little guy hiding out in the weeds. I am not sure what kind of snake he is, but he certainly is bigger than the ones I have found up there in the past. Wink

Jon

.jpg_thumb   snake_wazee.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-25-2003, 03:11 PM,
Gert looks like Robin (as in Batman and Robin). Smile

Doug, it was nice to bump into you and George at Wazee. Hopefully next time we can get a dive in. I stopped by the Whites demo day at the south access. They were already packing up by the time I arrived. Apparently they only had 6 divers try suits during the day. They were hoping for better turnout on Sunday.
--Jason
08-25-2003, 08:01 PM,
Oh boy! Finally a use for the Biology Major! That is a Northern Brown Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon) They aren't venomous, but they aren't usually very friendly. They eat fish and frogs and are like all snakes in Wisconsin, EXCEPT the Massasagua Rattlesnake, harmless to Humans. Great Picture!
08-25-2003, 08:41 PM,
Thanks Chris!!!

Ted couldn't figure it out, and he is a biologist. Of course, he's a fish biologist and doesn't recognize anything that breaths air. ;D

I'll pass it on to him.

jon