Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Wazee
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM,
Re: Lake Wazee
Is the ice gone YET? Please say yes!!!!!
03-29-2005, 07:09 PM,
I'm guessing at least a week or two. I'm sure Andy will let us know when it's gone. 60 degrees today. Won't be long now.... Wink
03-31-2005, 08:43 AM,
I was wondering about camping at Lake Wazee.  Is it true that they don´t reserve sites?  How difficult is it to get a camp site on the weekends during the summer?  Have any of you been turned down upon arriving late on Friday?  earlier on Friday?  Saturday?  If I drive all the way there on a Friday and there are no sites left, do I have reasonable options?

Thanks for any help here.

Mike
03-31-2005, 10:47 AM,
They don't reserve sites, that part is true.

Usually we show up Friday after work (around 6:30 or so...) and have no problems getting a site.  There is usually a site or two free during the weekend.  I've never been turned down, so I'm not sure what the other options would be for you besides a hotel.

The only time it's been risky getting a site is when we want to camp there during a "big" weekend, like the DUI days.  Then we usually go there Thursday night and get a site to make sure that we have one.
03-31-2005, 11:29 AM,
Thanks Omicron, that is very helpful.
04-01-2005, 06:56 PM,
Todays Ice Report...It's still there.  The 20 pound rock I threw at it failed to break through.  I'd estimate there's still 4-6 inches in most places.  Hopefully it will be nice this week and it will disappear.
04-08-2005, 04:31 PM,
Could we have been the first ice free divers for spring 2005???  Dive buddy Ed Davis and I just returned from Wazee Lake for our first ice free dive of 2005.  The water was a chilly 39 degrees at 60 feet and 43 degrees at 10 feet.  We took three water samples to give to Parks and Forestry to send out for testing.  We took samples at the sites that had the shiny white sludge at the first dive site.  Most of the white cloudiness has gone to the surface and the first ten feet along the bank is very murky.  Visibility overall was 10 feet at the worst and 20-30 at the best in the 60 foot area.  Didn't go any deeper than that.

The pond is open, so get diving.

Andy
05-05-2005, 02:24 PM,
Here is a portion of a newspaper article taken from the Wedneday, May 4, 2005, Banner Journal, one of the local Jackson County newspapers.  The article was written by JoDee Brooks.

Wazee Dive revenue Down

Forestry and Parks Assistant Administrator John Schweitzer explained to the county board at its April meeting.  Wazee dive revenue continues to decline.

While Wazee Lake Recreation Area is Jackson County's most popular day use facility, bringing in $35,948 in revenue in 2004 (including dive fees).  Schweitzer said personal interviews with the diving community have revealed the lake's decreased visibility and the lack of "new" opportunities for divers are key factors contributing to decline in its popularity.

Revenue generated from camping fees at Wazee Lake Recreation Area remained steady.  Wazee has 15 primitive campsites.  Schweitzer told the board, coupled with the reduction in dive revenue and with no significant increase in camping ervenue, it would indicate Wazee has reached its revenue-operating limit.  "Wazee has the potential to be a real money maker for the county" explained Schweitzer.  End of quote

The rest of the article goes on to detail other improvements, etc. in the other Jackson County parks.

Just for the boards information of some local Wazee news coverage.

Andy
05-05-2005, 03:41 PM,
I know a few people that have held off buying season passes this year due to the declining viz...

I had been debating the decision, but eventually ended up buying one because I know there is no where else to dive come the middle of summer.  Wazee's viz may be declining, but it's still a lot more enjoyable than the local mud puddles in the middle of summer.  And I really, really like diving out there!
05-05-2005, 04:11 PM,

There is a small body of water to the east of Stevens Point.  It's called Lake Michigan.  Perhaps you've heard of it?  There is some mighty fine diving to be had there Wink